Hair problems are more common in the winter. Your hair can suddenly acquire static electricity or become extremely brittle as the temperature drops. Below are some healthy hair tips for winter that will allow you to keep you hair glowing and tangle-free even during the winter months.
- Never allow your hair to stay wet for long. In the winter, you should never leave the house without drying your hair. Wash your hair at least a couple of hours before going out, this will give you enough time to air dry it properly. If you fail to do so, use a blow dryer. You should not need more than 30 minutes to blow dry your hair. Occasional use of a blow dryer is unlikely to cause any harm to your hair, but make sure that you don’t use it regularly. Regular use of a blow dryer (even if you use the best brand available on the market) will end up depleting your hair of its natural moisture.
- Wear styles that need little maintenance. Don’t leave your hair untied during winter. If you hair is not tied up, you may feel like combing your hair or running your fingers through it all the time. To have healthy and shinny hair during the winter months, it is extremely important that you leave your hair alone. If you keep on combing your hair or touching it time and again, you will be more at risk of hairs falling out and developing split ends. So, instead of leaving your hair untied, choose hair styles like the fishtail braid or top knot.
- Cover your head with a hat or a scarf when going out. A major environmental characteristic of winter is dry air. Dry air can drain moisture from your scalp and make your hair strands frizzy and dry, which invites problems like hair loss and dandruff. If you keep your head covered while going out, your hair will not come in contact with the dry air and that will reduce your chances of experiencing the above mentioned hair issues. However, make sure that you don’t wear the scarf or hat too tightly, as that would hinder proper blood circulation to your scalp.
- Deep conditioning should be a part of your hair care routine during winter. Add two teaspoons of olive oil to your regular conditioner before application. This will prevent your hair from getting too dry.
- Most people do not drink enough water during the winter months. The reason behind this is that they don’t feel thirsty as often as they do during the hotter months. The fact, however, is that the human body requires water to stay hydrated both in summer and winter. Water will help you to counter the dryness caused in winter and will also ensure that your scalp and hair stay hydrated.